close

News

COVID-19: UNIBEN shuts health centre for fumigation

The University of Benin will on Saturday, June 27 shut its health centre for fumigation, to check the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).

This was disclosed in a statement made available to Campus Gist on Friday, signed by the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Benedicta Ehanire, Ph.D.

Ehanire, however, said services at the health centre will resume fully on Wednesday July 1, five days after its temporary suspension.

She said, “As part of proactive measures to check the ravaging COVID-19, the Health Centre has announced that services will be suspended temporarily for five days starting from Saturday 27th June to Wednesday 1st July, 2020.

“This is for fumigation to be carried out in line with the Federal Government’s guidelines. During this period and after, the medical helplines should continue to be deployed by members of the University community.”

The UNIBEN Public Relations Officer listed the helplines to include 08163104400, 08022911100, 08023367827, 08023404414, 08033885998 and 080233081568.

read more

Alleged Fraud: OAU ex-VC, Registrar regain freedom

…EFCC loses out over ‘unreliable evidence’


An Osun State High Court sitting in Osogbo on Thursday discharged and acquitted former acting Vice-Chancellor of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Prof. Anthony Elujoba, and ex-acting Bursar, Josephine Akeredolu, of allegations of conspiracy and fraud.

The two university officials had been dragged before the court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission following a petition alleging their involvement in fraud, conversion of public funds, conspiracy and abuse of office.

EFCC had alleged that Elujoba and Akeredolu, while in office, had conspired to steal by paying the acting vice chancellor N5,477,595 belonging to OAU as furniture allowance.

They were also accused of illegal diversion of N1.4 billion OAU money, which was paid to workers in the university as earned allowances and productivity bonus.

According to Punch, Elujoba and Akeredolu were first arraigned before an Osun State High Court, sitting in Ede in July, 2017.

Delivering judgement on the matter, Justice Wasiu Akanbi, said the prosecution team led by M.S. Usman called three witnesses and tendered exhibits that included letter of appointment of the acting vice chancellor.

He said the defendants had pleaded not guilty to the seven counts pressed against them, and urged the court to dismiss allegations against them, since the prosecution could not establish they had a case to answer.

Justice Akanbi held that submissions of prosecution witnesses were contradictory and evidences laid before the court by them were unreliable since both OAU Governing Board and Federal Ministry of Education never reported that any money was missing.

He said in the appointment letter given to the acting vice chancellor, though furniture allowance was not stated, it was written that he would be entitled to fringe benefits, even though he was to serve for six months.

According to him, the claim by the prosecution witnesses that the acting vice chancellor was entitled to N722, 797.26 since he did not serve for four years could not be proved as the witnesses did not agree in their separate submissions that furniture allowance would be paid in proportion to the time spent in office.

Declaring that evidences laid before court by the prosecution were contradictory and unreliable, Justice Akanbi discharged and acquitted both Elujoba and Akeredolu of all the allegations against them.

PUNCH

read more

COVID-19: No plans to reopen orientation camps – NYSC

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has said its orientation camps will reopen only when it is very safe, in view of the formidable danger posed by COVID-19 pandemic.

Director of Press and Public Relations Officer of the Scheme, Mrs Adenike Adeyemi, made this known in a statement on Friday in Abuja.

“The attention of management of the scheme has been drawn to an online publication stating that the “NYSC is set to reopen orientation camps, lists guidelines,” alluding that the scheme will soon resume orientation programme,” Adeyemi said.

She said the scheme placed very high premium on the lives of corps members, camp officials and other stakeholders.

“…Which was the key reason it suspended 2020 Batch “A” Stream 1 orientation programme in March and shall never act in any way that will compromise their safety.

“To reinforce the foregoing, it is apt to add that even when it has been sufficiently established it is safe to proceed to the camps for the resumption of normal activities, the corps shall only do so when it has received the nod of the federal government,” she said.

Adeyemi added that corps members and prospective corps members are advised to glean information concerning the scheme only from NYSC official sources – both the social and mainstream media.

According to her, the Director-General, NYSC, Brig. Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, admonished corps members and prospective ones to continue strict observance of COVID-19 safety protocols, predicated on social and physical distancing.

Others, he said, are wearing of face masks, proper washing of the hands for at least twenty seconds, and the use of hand sanitiser.

THISDAY

read more
1 2 3 4
Page 4 of 4
You cannot copy content of this page!